Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Vial Extra Doses- Guidance on the use of the New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS)
“The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) has learned that COVID-19 vaccine providers have consistently been able to withdraw more than five doses from one vial of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. As a result, the
NYSDOH provides the following guidance after consulting with the FDA and the manufacturer:
• Vaccinators may withdraw more than 5 doses from a single 5-dose vial.
• Extra vaccine fluid from more than one vial CANNOT be combined to produce extra doses. This is particularly important because the vaccination doesn’t contain preservatives.
• Use any extra vaccine that can easily be drawn up in a syringe to meet the 0.3 ml dose requirement. This may be six or seven doses.
• Certain syringes may allow only five doses to be obtained from a single vial.
• Enter all vaccines given into NYSIIS, including any additional vaccines given.
• Inventory as shown and managed in NYSIIS will have to be modified.”
CLICK HERE to read the full article from from the NYSDOH.