Steps to Become a COVID-19 Distributor
“The Medical Society of the State of New York is providing you with information on the steps to become a COVID-19 distributor; it is MSSNY’s understanding that physicians and other healthcare providers and organizations will be receiving information next week from the NYS Department of Health regarding the enrollment process.
The information below is meant to help you begin this process. The following information was obtained from the NYS Department of Health November 19, 2020 webinar regarding steps for physicians to serve as a distributor of COVID 19 vaccine to patients.
Step One — Register for the Immunization Information System
- Physicians who do not have an account are urged to register in the NYS Immunization Information System (NYSIIS). Physicians residing in New York City will need to register with the Citywide Immunization Registry (CIR)
- This is because all COVID-19 Vaccination Program providers (each location submitting a profile) will need a NYSIIS or a CIR account
- Your practice may currently have a NYSIIS or CIR account, but it is important to review the information so that appropriate staff has access
For health care providers located outside of New York City, take the following steps for new users in NYSIIS-See the Checklist to Go Live with NYSIIS here.
- NYSIIS is located on the Health Commerce System. If responsible staff do not yet have an HCS account, they must apply for one.
- Take the NYSIIS Administrative User Training located here
New York City physicians should register their practice online in CIR here
Step 2: Enroll in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program
- In addition to registering with NYSIIS or CIR, physicians will then need to enroll in the COVID-19 Vaccine Program
- NYSDOH and NYC DOHMH are implementing a phased approach to provider enrollment and will notify private practices physician as each new group is opened for enrollment. MSSNY understands that this will occur for private practicing physicians next week.
- Providers in NYS, outside of NYC, will enroll in the NYS COVID-19 Vaccination Program through the Health Commerce System.
- Providers in NYC will enroll in the NYC COVID-19 Vaccination Program through the CIR.
- Networks with facilities or providers in both NYS and NYS should enroll their facilities or provides outside of NYC in the NYS Covid-19 Vaccination Program through the Health Commerce System and enroll facilities or providers in NYC in the NYC Covid-19 Vaccination Program through the CIR.
Step 3 Ordering, Receiving and Administering Vaccine
- When COVID-19 vaccine is available, providers in NYS, outside of NYC, will order Covid-19 Vaccine through NYSII and providers in NYC will order Covid-19 vaccine through the CIR. Orders will be approved by NYS DOH and shipped directly from the vaccine manufacturer or CDC distributor.
When vaccine is available, functions staff perform in NYSIIS or CIR will include monitoring vaccine inventory, entering doses administered and/or performing data exchange (uploading and downloading data) between the provider’s electronic health system and NYSII/CIR; entering vaccine returns and wastage, and generating reports for internal review (e.g. doses administered).”